Sunday, June 23, 2013

Adventures in Parenting

Parenting isn't easy and that, my friends, is an understatement.  We have two teenagers and a "tween" now, and oh how I long for the days of high chairs, fat hands and questions like, "why are the trees green Mommy?" 


With teens you get eye rolling, talking back, they don't think your as cool as you so obviously are, questions like "what was it like back in your day Mom?" (MY DAY! SERIOUSLY!)  

They start to want to have girlfriends and boyfriends(NO!), asking for money, saying things like "when I'm eighteen..." and "it's not like it was at school in your day mom" (Again with the "my day"!) there's always some sort of drama between friends (with the girls), and the list goes on and on. 



If I'm being honest, the teen years are hands down the hardest parenting years yet, and there are times when I am at a total loss of how to do this thing called "parenting".  There are times when I feel like a complete failure as a parent, when I question if I've done a good enough job as their mother, teaching them, guiding them, loving them.  








My kids are amazing human beings, and I absolutely could not be prouder of who they are, but still there are times...

This morning I was thinking, that as hard as this parenting thing can be, I am so grateful to God that He has blessed us with our three amazing babies.  I know there are parents out there that have lived through every parent's worst nightmare.  They have lost their children to illness, disease or other horrific tragedy.  I know without a doubt those parents would give anything to have seen their children grow up, to raise them through these sometimes shocking and confusing teenage years. 

So when you look back to when your children were sweet, and little and didn't roll their eyes at you, look back, but not for too long.  You don't want to miss what's going on right now. My job as a parent is not finished, there are still amazing things to come and I don't want to look back at these years with regret.  Savor the time you have with your children. Enjoy every. Single. Moment.  I needed to remember this, and maybe you did too.  

♥-April Dawn


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...